Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Powerchair Update | 2 Months On

The past 2 months have flown by so much and to be honest I'm not sure it's even properly sunk in still that I've got my powerchair. At the same time though I couldn't be without it now, it's a part of me and I'm still trying to build up my confidence but slowly I'm feeling more and more comfortable in it. For the first few weeks I mainly just went to the local shops in it whilst I got used to things but this week I finally built up the courage to hop on the bus into town for the first time.



It might not sound like a big deal but trying to get the bus when you use a wheelchair can be a pretty nerve wracking thing, I worried about there being parents with prams in the wheelchair space who would refuse to move. I worried about coming across an unpleasant bus driver. I worried about people staring at me throughout the whole journey (you have to face the rest of the bus when you are in the wheelchair space). Basically, there was a lot that I was worrying about! In the end though it wasn't as bad as I expected, I was lucky to get a lovely driver both times and when parents with prams did appear the driver made sure I got on the bus first. Getting into the wheelchair space wasn't too hard either, my choice of getting a midwheel drive powerchair with a small turning circle benefited me a lot when navigating the bus. My Mum came with me for the trip just so I could get used to it but I think I'm already confident enough to get the bus on my own!

Now I've mastered the bus I really can go anywhere on my own! I feel so free and independent when I use my powerchair, it really is the best feeling in the world. I still have to be pushed in my manual sometimes if I'm going out with family in the car but I don't hate it as much anymore as I know when I get home if I wanted to I could go anywhere I wanted and be in full control. Going into town and browsing shops is so much better when I don't have to direct someone and tell them to stop all the time, shopping becomes a pretty unpleasant experience when you aren't in control so I can't wait to have a proper shopping trip on my own. I feel like I always saying this but really I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who donated and shared my gofundme page, I'm not exaggerating when I say that this powerchair really has changed my life.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar